Monday, October 21, 2013

what I've been up to lately...

Well, all the major renovations aside from bathrooms and outside porches have been completed thanks to my wonderful husband who's stuck by me when I just wanted to pull out my hair and his. That's not to say that there isn't work to be done just now it's my time to shine. I love to decorate and keep a tidy house but lets be realistic - since having children my house isn't as spotless as I'd like it and truth be told  I'd rather do something that doesn't get undone. So onto my project. Dh's mother's bday was at the end of August and our gift to her was a new coffee table for her living room. Using Ana whites plans I built this lovely table but there was one flaw in the plans - that the trudle box (short sides) should be shorter in length by the actual size of your 2x2 (this one protruded the depth of the 2x2). I ended up using colonial american stain for the table top and 3 coats of semi-gloss poly then I primed and painted the bottom in white with distressing to the faux fronts using a stain pen.


I also finish my $20 dresser find that I got at a yard sale last year. When I brought it home dh asked me why I was buying junk. 


So I went shopping for some more junk and bought this mirror for $2


And together I turned them into this for a total cost of $50 in supplies (I used the crown and wood for the mirror from my scrap wood pile) I still have to decorate it but I'm planning on making my own picture frames and nick-nacs for it so this is going to have to wait for the time being


I also ended up sewing the jalie 2908 pattern that pr member rave about and I got to tell you that I love it. Now all I have to do is invest in  some good quality rivets because I'm not sure I will ever buy a pair of jeans again!

Here's a storage cabinet for my little notions which hides the fugly part storage box.


I also have been busy getting our front hallway done up in time for halloween.  To the left of the picture below, I made a coat rack which also serves as a photo ledge. The top of the ledge is made from door jambs which has ridges cut out which is perfect for putting pictures onto. I then stained it all in dark walnut. The curtain was a new addition to the front hallway. Now none of our neighbours can see in our house!