Friday, February 26, 2010

Leather Baby Bib

I got the idea from a website I visited and almost had a heart attack when I saw the price. $30.00 I thought it was a bit excessive. So I decided to make my own. I purchased a whole bunch of leather scraps from lens mill. Although I have since realized that they aren't the cheapest for leather scraps. I think that Tandy leather factory might be the cheapest and best of all they are located throughout North America. I think that they were about $5.00 or so per pound for scrap leather. I can't wait to check out their selection.

So anyways I embroidered the fish on it using the hoopless method with two layers of tearaway, the first layer was hooped and the second layer was attached to both the backside of the leather and then to the hoop tearaway using spray adhesive. The design was not very dense so I had no issues with it popping away from the leather. I then sewed with right sides together, the two layers of the bib (using scotch tape to hold it together in some spots as you can't use pins with leather). I then turned and topstitched it and added a snap. Voila! It turned out really nice. I think that my topstitching would have been better if I had a teflon foot. I found leather a little more finicky than any other material I've used but hey it just might take more practice. I might invest in a teflon foot in the future as I love the way my leather sewing projects turn out. This also would be a great project if you have a used leather coat that has seen it's day in some spots! I think that the project cost me about $1/$2 so well worth it. Oh and I got the bib pattern for free by doing a google search.

The best part of this bib is that it's wipe-able! here's the pattern.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Newborn diaper stash

I have been busy sewing up our soon to be newborn son's newborn diaper stash. 26 fitteds using the ddu patterns are shown here plus 10 more ready to be snapped. I used cotton knit for the outer layer a hidden one layer of hemp fleece and topped it with bamboo valour. I then attached a snap in soaker made up of 2 layers of hemp fleece and topped with matching bamboo valour. The knit fabrics that I used were different weights. The black red and brown one is a heavy weight knit (my favourite), the green polka dots a medium weight, and the blue polka dots was a light weight jersey. I would never use a light weight knit again unless I was to put two layers of it then then an inner as it is just to thin for my preference. I knew this making them but loved the print so much that I couldn't resist. Next on the list covers, covers and more covers!

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sister-in-Law's Birthday Present!

I decided to make a photo book cover for my sister in law for her birthday. I embroidered her name (blurred out) and the design on the front and took the measurements of the photo album plus my seam allowance of 1/4". It was made out of leather that I had left from another project. It turned out pretty nice considering I really didn't feel well when I was making it.