So I decided to try and make a few nursing bras, as ds2 is fast approaching. They cost $26.99 in the store and I figured that I could make them fairly cheap. The way I did it was just a test and I will get all the right materials for it soon. I just used what I had on hand.
First of all, I deconstructed my favorite nursing bra (yes I'm silly that way). Then I cut out all of the pieces in scrap jersey. I used 2 layers for each cup, a peek-a-boo hole layer and then the side panel layers. I then serged the peek-a-boo holes using a 3 thread rolled serge. I used 1/4" elastic at the sides which now I understand that fold over elastic would have been so much easier to use (but I didn't want to spend the money if it wasn't going to work out as this was just a test). I should have used a seam allowance of at least 1/4" more so the I could have folded it over and covered the elastic. Then I serged on the bottom, the two layers of each cup to the 1 layer of the peek-a-boo hole. Then sewed up the middle between the cups and then using a zig-zag stitch, on the front of the cups I zig-zaged over the middle reinforcing the top of the bra. I then sewed the side panels to the cups. After which, I sewed the band elastic into place, although I probably should have pulled on the elastic a bit to give it a gather as I am petite in the circumference but top heavy. Because I didn't so this it was very loose in the circumference, so I then sewed a seam in the back (which I shouldn't have done!) as now the shoulder straps will be all wonky. But hey it turned out better than I imagined it would. all that is left is to put on the nursing clasps, some small rings and volia. And next time it will be even more amazing amazing!