I started the Burda tunic pattern 8501 that was first on my list, last night. I decided to first make a muslin mostly because I didn't want to ruin the nice black linen that I wanted to use for it. I'm so glad that I did. I started out with a size 36, mostly because it was already pre-cut from the hugh lot of sewing patterns I got a few weeks ago, but also because I'm a C cup size and the description said that it was closely fitting. So I thought that I would be generous with the sizing. This was the result.
Closely fitting? I don't think that describes this!
In RTW clothing I'm an xs-s in shirts, however I usually buy knits for shirting because of my "Fitting issues". I am very petite but have a large bustline (I'm not complaining) which makes it very difficult to fit clothes properly. I hardly make things for myself, mostly because I enjoy making things for the boys (hubby included) but this year I made a vow to make a few summer things for myself. I decided to take off I think about 1" from the front seamline and shorten the length by 1", which nicely moved in the bust dart to the exact location of where it should sit.
Funny thing was that I was surfing the net, to find other finished projects with this pattern and came across Burda 8516 here. This pattern is identical to the pattern that I am currently working on. The only difference is that they leave off the darts in the front and add elastic to the empire waistline. I was shocked to see something so similar but really shouldn't be.
Today I was able to get most of the shirt completed. I finished all the darts, shoulder seams and side seams. I still have to set in the sleeves, finish the neckline and hem. I really have to admit thought, that their directions for how to finish the neckline is very difficult to understand. I will figure it out, I will, I will , I will! But I still think that it's a foreign language yet to be discovered. Hopefully, I'll have completed it by tomorrow.